3 Routes and a Broken Axe

Busy Day in Corie an t'Sneachda

Me in Spiral Gully II

 Summit Plateau

Looking back down Crotched Gully II

My shadow in a Brockenspectre

After spending most of the day in the car yesterday travelling the 550 miles from my home to Aviemore I was a bit slow off the mark this morning and didn't get into Corie an t'Sneachda until 11am. On the way in it was obvious that conditions would be good and I had a plan to solo 4 routes and get back of the hill before dark. It was all going well and I climbed Goat Track Gully II,  Crotched Gully II and Spiral Gully II. Half way up the last route I noticed poor placements with my axe and closer inspection showed a missing bolt and a wobbly pick. This ment I spent the rest of the route "daggering" as I didn't trust the pick anymore. Sensibly I cancelled the 4th route I had planned to do and headed off into Aviemore to try and find a replacement bolt. On the way back down I saw a number of amazing brockenspectres (okay so probably the same one a number of times). Due to the fantastic service of the DMM rep who I saw in Aviemore there is a bolt in the post to me already to arrive by Monday.

I have just arrived at Glenmore Lodge where I will be based this weekend for the AMI AGM. The gullies are full and the mixed routes are white. Neve everywhere with a occasional patch of softer snow. I would say the conditions were pretty good.

Comments