New routes on Erraid, Mull

Unclimbed rock now with 4 new routes 



Me leading my new route


Today, I headed out with some friends to Erraid for some classic pink granite. On the way into our planned venue we spotted some rock that was not in the guidebook. Between the four of us we climbed 4 new routes (basically led one each) from VD to HS4b.

Having then reached our goal of New Slabs we climbed a number of existing routes with two of our team making another first ascent. This post was delayed until our new routes had been confirmed which they now have been. This means an email to the Scottish guidebook writers who keep lists. The route I chose and made the first ascent of I have graded Severe and called "Mull it over" as I had to think what to call it. About 35m in length I took it in 2 pitches to avoid rope drag but it could be done in one with care.

We were having a great day made better by the enforced wade on the way back through some lovely warm water where the tide had sneaked in around us.

Comments