Water Skiing (almost) on the Caledonian Canal


View from my Chalet

 

 
Skiing along the Tow Path

 
Crossing the Canal

Today I intended on shooting down Glen Nevis to climb Steal Falls but overnight snowfall ment the road would be most probably unpassable so I decided to stay local and put my skis on in my chalet and skiied out of my door, down the steps and onto the Caledonian Canal.

The ice on the canal was solid and the layer of snow on the top was untouched and inviting, however after about 100m or so I moved up onto the Tow Path and into some existing tracks which made thing a lot easier. One of my ambitions last year was to ski from my chalet into Fort William and I never had the chance to do it as the canal didn't freeze properly. If the canal stays frozen for a while longer then I may be ablel acheive this

Although I wasn't out for long as I needed to sort things out for the rest of my stay, the short blast on skis was a welcome first day. The rest of the day was spent drinking coffee with friends and stocking up the chalet for the next few months. I hope to get on on the hills for a proper ski tomorrow weather depending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills