Paddling (and swimming) The Spean Gorge

 
The 2 Andys

Headbanger (which was dangerous today)

 
so we walked round it

Today the same posse as yesterday set off to do battle with The Spean Gorge a classic grade 4(5) gorge trip through amazing rock walls and rapids. I certainly set the tone of the day with two capsizes within 50m of each other on the same rapid!!!  Due to being pushed up against rocks on both capsizes I was unable to roll and took a swim. Nice (and very cold).
However things got better and we continued on down the gorge and I was able to stay in my boat through all the remaining rapids. We had to portage the Headbanger and the Constriction as the water levels were so low the first was running through undercut walls which is very dangerous and the latter was too narrow (a boat wouldn't fit through).

Hopefully heading off to The Etive tomorrow for some more Grade 4/5 action on some BIG drops. I am actually feeling a bit nervous on this one as it has been some time since I have paddled at this grade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills

Hill and Moorland Leader Training