Easy Rest Day (or not) !!!!
Stunning Views
Looking into Glen Nevis
Me heading towards Aonach Beag
(courtesy of www.westimages.co.uk)
Today Campbell and I were going to climbing but decided on an "easy rest day" by going skiing. We took the tows up to the top and then put on skins (sticky pad on bottom of ski for going up hill) and headed up to the summit of Aonach Mor 1221m, removed the skins and skied down to the col just before Aonach Beag. Here I ditched the skis, put crampons on my ski boots and walked to the summit of Aonach Beag 1234m. The sun was shining and it was seriously hot. By the time I returned to the col and got my skis back I was down to a T-shirt. With the skins back on we headed back over Aonach Mor to the ski tows to start the long ski back.
First we dropped into the back corries via Winger Wall before taking a descending traverse back round to the Gondola. But no, this was not good enough so we continued on down under the Gondola and onto the Mountain Bike downhill track, through the forest, off track, though deep snow and heather and arriving back at the bottom station. I nearly made it to the car but had to stop and walk 100m from it due to a lack of snow cover on the rocks. This descent was 5.5km and 1100m of altitude of which 95% was unpisted terrain.
and this was supposed to be a rest day !!!!!!
Comments