Hammer Time - Initial Review

Ready to launch 

Heading out to Berry Head 

 A bit lumpy on the South side

Bit of caving 

 Compulsory selfie (as no one with me)



On Saturday I picked up my new kayak from AS Watersports. Today I headed east to Brixham to go paddling. I only had a few hours to play with so I took the Hammer out round Berry Head looking for some swell. I found some but not quite as much as I hoped for so settled for some rock hopping instead. I only had time to paddle on the canal before buying so I hoped I had made the right decision.

Made from the Pyranha WW plastic this is a tough boat but fortunately not as heavy as I expected. I have never had so much fun getting into a sea kayak. Basically I put it down on a steep bit of beach, got in and seal launched with no worries about damaging the hull.

A bit of playing off the beach just to check it's handling I realised it can flat spin and turn on edge. Great, should be fun.

The Hammer handles well into the waves but across waves it as definitely a bit of effort to stay straight without the skeg down. I never use the skeg on my Valley Avocet (mainly because it is broken) but was glad I had one on the Hammer. Going with the waves however, it was great and picked up the slightest swell for a mini surf.

Rock gardening and caving suit it down to the ground as you can surf in and then spin it on a dime before paddling out. No more getting caught broadside on for me I hope.

A bit of speed has been sacrificed for handling and manoeuvrability but it is no slouch. I have no intention of paddling it for long days but from teaching from and paddling with other plastic boats it should be fine. I may just be a bit more tired at the end of the day.

Paddling back a few hours later I realised I had not dome many miles but had some good fun. Lifting it up onto the van was more effort than my Kevlar Avocet but then I expected that.

I am desperate to get it out in some proper swells and tides races when time allows. I will also be paddling it on the rivers when the water comes back up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High and Low Ropes Training and Assessment

Malawi and Zambia Expedition