Atlantic Ocean Road









Even though I had an early start, another 3 ferries (I am more confident the bike won't fall over now - see Today's Lesson) and an average speed of 50km along the E39, because of all the bends, towns and the fact that the speed limit is only 80kph very occasionally meant I only covered 400km today, this in itself is a little depressing as I still have a long way to go but ....

Big Smile as today I ticked one of my objectives, to ride the Atlantic Ocean Road (see pic 3 - Atlantic Ocean Road taken from google). My shots (even without a squashed bug on the lens do not do it justice).  Basically the road from Bud to Kristiansund runs alongside the Atlantic with about 8km of bridges linking blocks of rock at the end. Awesome bit of road and I thought, I am surprised that is free and not a toll road but then 5mins later I had to pay £6 (ish) for a 6km tunnel. I have been very lucky as a lot of the tools are automatic and a camera faces you, obviously on a bike there is no number plate but I would expect even a foreign driver would not be charged as they won't have your bank account details.

I am now camped at Kristiansund (not Kristiansand, that is far south of me now) and having looked at the map, will be going inland a little tomorrow o pick up a faster road and miss out ferries as I need make more progress north if I am going to make Nordkapp.

Todays Lesson - (nearly a expensive mistake). When riding on a ferry wait until it stops before getting the bike off it's stand. Both I and the rider next to me were sat on the bikes ready to go when the ferry contacted the pontoon a little harder than expected. We both had a moment where we though we were going down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills