Goodbye E39, Hello E6








A LONG day in the saddle today with only one ferry. Google Maps lies, it was over 10 hrs due to road works and the first time I have had to wait for a ferry (nearly 20mins!).
At midday today, I said goodbye to the E39. We have been friends from Denmark and apart from a few detours we have stayed together for 4 days (almost a long term relationship). You gave me tunnels, bridges, ferries and lots of bends but you and I are no longer going the same way. I am now getting acquainted with the E6 and although it is early days we seem to be getting on well. There are certainly a few more section of 90kph, fewer tunnels and and no ferries which does let me cover ground quicker though maybe not quite as fun.

My target was Mo I Rana but the joy of not pre booking accommodation is that you end up wherever you want. There was a great spot for a wild camp about 100km back but I hadn't made enough ground my then. If you look here you can see how much ground I have covered today (nearly 600km) so actually looking like I am almost halfway up Norway at a place called Mosjøen (what I do is google it and then cut and post to get the ø)

Those who know me well know my pet hate about campsites. We this one has gone one stage further! When you pay to camp, I expect that to include showers. I do no expect to have to get a coin or a token. Well, a new first. This site you have to decide how long you want in the shower, tell reception and they charge a card up for you (at about 30p per min). She said "Most people have 5 minutes", I said "Most people have hair, 3 minutes will do me and can I have a refund for what I don't use?". Apparently not!

Today Lesson was a good one - Just because there were no midges when I went to bed last night, it does not mean that a million of them won't be waiting for you in the morning. I have never taken my tent down so quick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills