I ran out of Road










I made it, the road ended, there was no more north. I was at Nordkapp or The North Cape at the very top of Norway and indeed the top of Europe. 

11 days riding, covering 4474 km (2796 miles) plus ferry travelling and here I was, stood in a place nearer to the North Pole than to home. Although I did really want to get here, this was as much about the journey as the end point. I expect at least 150km was underground as I have lost count of how many tunnels there were but there were loads.

A round trip of 470 miles today with some great roads, finally all the warnings of Reindeer came true and they were everywhere, mainly off the road but as you can see from the bike cam pic, some were not so sensible. I also saw a couple of Red Squirrels today but no pics of them.

I was really pleased to see as I was heading back to Alta, the 2 guys from The Ukraine (that I met on the Denmark Ferry) and the lady from Italy (that I met on the Lofoten Ferry) and the couple from Slovakia (I meet on two different campsites) heading North on their bikes. They too will have successfully reached Nordkapp the same day.

I am back at the same campsite as last night in Alta making plans on how I intend to get home. There are a couple of option from here so this evening will be spent on goggle maps and looking at ferry timetables to see what the options are

Fortunately it wasn't too busy and they let me ride round for the classic photo, this is not a given and depends on how many tourists are there at the time. In my case, no buses had yet arrived and it was very quiet.

My orginal plan was to save a bit of cash and wild camp when possible but I realised (apart from liking a shower) that as a solo biker, all other bikers chat to you and you make lots of new contacts and get some good info about the roads so I ditched that idea early on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High and Low Ropes Training and Assessment

Malawi and Zambia Expedition