'Go West" - "I can't, there is no more land"
Since 1979 The Village People having been telling us to "Go West". Well I did that today and I ran out of road.
A great start to the day that was overcast and never went above 20 degrees allowed me to ride for a full 4 hours stopping just once for fuel before my first major goal of this trip.
Cabo da Roca is the most westerly point on mainland Europe. What was really nice was that coffee and cake was only a third of the price of the same at Nordkapp.
After my snack there, I used the toll motorway to bypass Lisbon but that didn't go well. When I approached the toll both I saw what I thought was a bike lane and rolled through thinking it was nice they didn't charge bikes. Well, 50km later I found out it wasn't a bike lane and had to explain to a man in a booth why I had no ticket. 30 euro fine for me. but I did shave off about 50km and 2 hours form the route above
Anyway, back on the nice roads and I was heading south. A quick glance at the dahs saw 31 degrees and I was wondering how much hotter it would get, fortunately the answer was only 32. I had a few visitors inside my helmet today but fortunately none of them bit or stung me for which I am very grateful
Then I arrived here, just outside Faro in The Algarve and it was everything I dreamed (had nightmares) it would be.
35 euro for a night, are you serious? apparently it includes free wifi available only in reception and the bar. Well as I spent 40 mins in reception queuing to book in I have no intention of sitting there for wifi and no intention of going to the bar either.
"You must leave your pitch by 11am tomorrow sir"
"Ok I will be gone by 7"
"You can't drive a vehicle on site before 7am"
"Ok, I will go at 7:01"
"You can't go before 8am as reception wont be open"
"Why do I need to go into reception to leave"
"You will need to collect your ID back"
"I am not leaving my id with you"
"Why not?"
"Because I am leaving before you open"
And what a crap pitch it is, not a blade of grass in site!
So, I went for a walk down to the beach, picked my way through the scores of lobster like holiday makers and went for a swim. got out of the water, picked my way back through the lobsters and headed back to the site to rant on this blog.
After reaching tomorrows goal, on Friday I will be heading back inland a bit away form the south coast and all the British holiday makers.





Comments