Yamaha Tenere XT660Z Ready for Off Road









A few weeks ago I picked up a Yamaha XT660Z Tenere to turn into my dedicated Off Road machine so that the Explorer can stay as my touring machine. The Triumph is awesome off road (given its size/weight) but I have started to compromise its road handling by the tyres I put on to make it off road capable.

This last week I have managed to get a lot done on the XT660Z it and as such it is now ready to roll.

I got the Continental TKC 80 tyres fitted by the local bike shop as I find tyre fitting to be a real faff but I have done all the rest myself

GPS Holder fitted and power lead wired in

Twin USB fitted and wired in

Powerbronze Head Light Protector fitted (sadly the light already had scratches when I bought it)

Givi Outback Rack fitted

New Rear Wheel Bearings fitted along with new Seals - This was easier than expected, took some effort to knock the old ones out but after a good clean up inside the hub, the new ones went in easy enough

New Sprocket Cush Drive Rubbers fitted - 30 second job as wheel was off anyway.

New Rear Sprocket fitted - bit of fun getting the nuts off but overall easy enough and looking much better already

New Chain fitted - Bit of a faff as old chain was a closed loop so had to cut it off (it was either that or remove the swing arm)

New Front Sprocket fitted - that was exceptionally hard work, it was virtually welded on and evening with a very long extension bar, I was virtually standing on it to release the nut.

New Brake Disc and Pads fitted - 6 rounded of hex bolts to be removed. A blow torch, drill, left handed drill bit thread removes, a torx drive and a hammer all played their part in this 90 minute epic. Fitting new disc with new bolts took all of about about 2 mins.

So all I need now is a free weekend to head up to Sweet Lamb to give it a good thrashing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills