Latvia was Lovely






Left my tent up to dry in the sun this morning and left site at 7.30, a bit later than normal as I had a shorter day. Still over 450km but on fast A roads with good tarmac and even some sweeping bends. About 6 hours in total followed by 4km of dirt roads to get to my campsite here less than 1 hour from the border.

The slightly dodgy double hotdog tasted better than it looked but I am not sure I will be looking to have anther one.

It was nowhere near as hot today but even so, a quick swim in the lake was required before spending the afternoon planning the next 3 days.

The "package holiday" has ended. Since Calais there have been no passport checks, no hard borders, only 2 currencies to deal with and most people I have met in whichever country have had some level of English.

Tomorrow the "adventure" starts. Belarus, Ukraine and Moldova. All with real borders and a game of visas, vehicle import and export documents, customs, potential language barriers, currency exchange and fickle border guards will commence. No roaming agreement in Belarus either so won't be checking google or other data reliant aps. Can't wait.

Not sure where I will end up tomorrow. Trying to find campsites is a nightmare. Don't really think it is a thing in Belarus. I have booked 2 different hotels (8€ and €12) respectively so that I have proof of accommodation to the border guards. I also don't know how long the border will take or how good the roads are so they 1/3 and 2/3 down the country to give me options. But if I find a campsite in the right place I will stay true to my plan and camp.

A blog tomorrow is highly dependent on wifi as opposed to phone data so I will if I can but if not will update as soon as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills