Transfagarasan (7C) and the DN1








What a great day, yet again Romania delivers!

A 6:45 start and I was heading up the 7C by 7:30. "I am so great, I have missed all the traffic" thought I as I came round the corner and had to stop for over 10 minutes whilst about a million sheep , a few donkeys, dogs, a couple of horses and 4 farmers wandered down the road. Once I carried on there was a trail of sheep poo for 5km so they must have started early to move them that far.

Once past this however, the road was virtually my own. I saw about 4 cars on the way up. I was riding South to North so the classic picture was my descent. It was pretty cold up to at 11 degrees as the sun was only just starting to touch the road in places.

Once down the other side it was coffee and croissant and a chat to a group of British bikers. Staying true to my plan, I headed North without using the A1 (woudl have saved 3 hours riding) but used the DN1 which was a pretty good road in itself with fast sweeping bends and a few hairpins thrown in foe fun.

For some reason, there was a queue of over 2km of trucks at the Hungarian border but only 10 minutes for me and then a chat with the border officer about my journey and where I was going before getting waved through and into Hungary. Technically this border crossing took -50minutes due to the time change.

At around 5:30 I arrived at the campsite (6:30 Romanian time) so a good 12 hour day and around 500km covered.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Mountaineering Skills